Cemetery Chapel St. Michael

 

North of the chapel square on Neuötting street you will find the cemetery chapel St. Michael surrounded by the walled cemetery, as late gothic pilaster building, completed in 1469 on the remains of a proven previous church that was finished in 1383. A simple exterior with a modest ridge turret above the western side. The interior divided by pilasters is simple, but clean-cut. Important artworks include the large Secco painting uncovered in 1969 showing the Last Judgement on the Southern wall. A simple altar, suspended above it from the chancel archway a cross with a valuable body from the middle of the 16th Century. To the north of the chancel a sacral chamber that is worth seeing, stonemasonry work from the late 15th Century.

Further artwork worth mentioning: a late gothic Sebastian figure in the third bay of the South  side, a sculpture of St. Michael as dragon master from the Renaissance era in the first bay of the South side, an early baroque Mater Dolorosa and two original paintings (Anna Selbdritt and Pieta) above the North and South gate.

In the entrance area and along the North wall, there are a series of partially valuable gravestones mainly of former citizens of Neuötting. They tell a story of this cemetery and its church: St. Michael was a cemetery for the people of Neuötting until 1641, as the rich trading town on the Inn river that was subject to the monastery of Altötting up to the secularisation had no own cemetery. The prior of Altöttinger, Franz Wilhelm Graf von Wartenberg granted the installation of an own cemetery only after 1641, due to a pest epidemic. After that, the cemetery of St. Michael became the last resting place also for people of Altötting that passed away. After the abolition of the monastery through the secularisation in 1803, the old cemetery of Altötting around the „Tilly chapel“ was dissolved and St. Michael became the sole cemetery for Altötting.
 

Capacity:
100 - 150 seats