als Armer unter Armen geboren,
du bist der Geringe Gottes,
um zu richten,
sondern um uns einen Weg
zur Gemeinschaft mit Gott zu bahnen.
In the year of 1599 the Jesuits of Altötting - St. Magdalene founded the Marian men’s congregation. Hundred years later it was necessary to expand the St. Magdalene Church and to erect an own hall for the sodalists of the men’s congregation. This was necessary because the planned construction of a huge round church on the chapel square was not realized. It was intended to accommodate the increased number of pilgrims. Church and hall were completed in the course of two years (1696/97).
During the period of the Redemptionist order in St. Magdalene the hall was heightened by the large cove (1870/71). The painting on the ceiling was made during that same period, showing the Ascension of Mary and the Saints Franz of Assisi and Ignatius of Loyola. The cycle of life of the Holy providing father Joseph was the patron of the church from the very beginning (Joseph hall). The eight square images, showing Marian morals of life (Marian work – Marian hope – Marian help – Marian love – Marian diligence – Marian comfort – Marian devotion – Marian faithfulness) belong to the initial interior of the hall – with the exception of the image of the blessed P. Rupert that was painted by the Seb. Brabdstetter during the last renovation 1983/84, who also uncovered and supplemented the series of puttis with banners.
The first of the square images right next to the sacristy door shows the most famous sodalist of the congregation of Altötting: Electoral prince Maximilian, who wrote down his personal benediction to Mary in a certificate with his blood, and wished to have his heart buried at the foot of the altar in front of the image of Our Lady in Altötting. At the front left side of the hall there is a figure of St. Antonius of Padua that is frequently visited by the pilgrims and is decorated with many votive candles. Figures of Saint Joseph and the Holy Brother Konrad were put up at the sides of the altar niche in the thirties. Brother Konrad was a member of the Altötting congregation already since his youngest years. The altar itself is a masterpiece of the art of goldsmith of the 17th Century. A copy of the lower part of the original altar decorates the people’s altar. It shows the annunciation of the incarnation of God to Mary by the arch angel Gabriel. The large picture above the sacristy door is also dedicated to this topic, which is the title of the congregation: The Annunciation.
Working days: 06.00 a.m. - 8.00 p.m.
Sunday: 06.45 a.m. - 8.00 p.m.
Winter (November - April) closed
Sunday: 10.30 a.m. (Youth service)
Approx. 200 seats