Most important exhibits in the new treasury

The most important and valuable exhibit is located in the „House Pope Benedict XVI. – New treasures and pilgrimage museum“ and is called the "Golden Horse" by the people. The altar of Mary made of gold and enamel, a worldwide unique piece of art is one of the treasures of the „New Treasury“ next to the "Füllkreuz".

 

Experts deemed the „Golden horse“ as one of the most valuable art pieces of Europe, worldwide even as the most valuable piece of gold and enamel art, with an insurance sum of millions . The diocese had to guarantee highest safety standard and a maximum of accordingly elaborate technology in the new museum.

 

L’imaige de Nostre Dame“ - „The image of Our Dear Lady“.

The valuables called „horse“ by the people only has little to do with the animal. The worldwide unique masterpiece of French gold work is a altar of Mary; 62 cm high, with a structure of gold and gold-plated silver and gold figures that are covered with white and different coloured enamel. On the top sits the Mother of God with child in a golden arbour decorated with pearls and precious stones. Angels float above them with the crown. At their feet, as children, John the Baptist, John the Evangelist and St. Catherine, in front of them in prayer the French King Karl VI. and his marshal. The entire scene is carried by a pillar hall with vaults, under which a servant hols the reins of the saddled horse of the King. This horse gave the piece of art its Bavarian name „Golden Horse“. In France it was once called „L’imaige de Nostre Dame“ – „The image of Our Dear Lady“. The Bavarian princess Elisabeth, called Isabeau de Baviere in Fracne ordered the piece of art as a new years gift to her husband, the French King Karl VI. in 1404.

This gold-enamel work came to Altötting to the treasure of the chapel together with ten other pieces in different ways in 1509: when the war of succession broke out in Landshut in 1503, the Duke confiscated the treasure of the Chapel to pay for war costs. He was not able to pay the according sum. The Holy Chapel received these gold-enamel works from the French royal treasure as deposit for the confiscated treasures in 1509. During the secularisation, nearly all of the treasure of the chapel was brought to Munich to be melted. The „Golden Horse“ returned in 1820.
From 1992-1995 the valuable piece was resorted carefully in the workshops of the Bavarian national museum in Munich under the professional consultation and cooperation of art historians of the Louvre in Paris, The British Museum in Kondon and from Germany and Austria, was brought back to Altötting after an exhibit in April of 1995 was only displayed once more in the year 2004 – in the Paris Louvre.

A further piece of art in the so-called „New treasury“ is the so-called „Füllkreuz“ –displayed in the same room as Mary’s altar. It is from the possession of the Munich Patrician family Füll with a precious body carved from ivory and a passion image painted on lapis lazuli plates.
The ivory body was made around 1580 probably in the Netherlands. Crossbeam and base, dated 1622 have golden ornaments on the front, precious stones, pearls and 19 miniatures painted on lapis lazuli that show the passion of the Christ, the resurrection, the Emmaus scene, the four evangelists and a portrait of Christ in illustrations with many figures. The back holds the 15 ivory inserts painted with filigree arabesque ornaments.

In the „New treasury“ the range reaches from basic information about pilgrimage to the history of the Altötting pilgrimage all the way to their valuable testimonies in art. In the „House Pope Benedict XVI. – New treasury and pilgrimage museum“ further pieces of art from many centuries are made accessible along with the world famous „Golden Horse“. Next to liturgical capes and devices, these includes around 2.000 rosaries, 1.200 pieces of jewellery, 1.600 coins and pilgrimage awards, as an inventory showed.